5 Signs Your AC Needs a Tune Up
Why Schedule a Tune-Up?
We do our due diligence when it comes to maintaining and tuning up our cars, but what about your home’s heating and cooling system? That one may have slipped through the cracks. Our heating system and AC we often take for granted to just, well, work!
What most of us don’t know is that your heating and cooling system, just like your car, needs maintenance and tune-ups too! Without regular tune-ups, our air conditioning units would never survive Michigan’s hot and humid summers. Spring will come and go and Summer will be here! Make sure you’re ready to take it on!
5 Signs Your AC Needs A Tune-Up
1. Your AC Is Louder Than Normal
After a long winter of no use, your AC might need a pick-me-up! An unusually loud AC could mean a number of things, but the most common issues are typically related to loose screws, motor malfunctions, debris build-up, and bent blades.
- Screws hold your system in place, so if you’re noticing an increase in noise level, it could be a sign a few of those have fallen loose. Ensuring they are all in the right place is key for the overall health and functioning capabilities of your system.
- Unlike your car, your AC is made up of multiple motors. Different noises often indicate where the malfunctioned motor is. For example, a grinding noise could relate to an issue with your fan motor. Our heating and cooling specialists do a great job diagnosing and solving issues like this. If you’re noticing strange noises, give us a call!
- Having debris caught in your AC unit can definitely create some strange noises. Turn off your AC unit and clean in and around the area. Trim any surrounding hedges and remove any twigs or branches that may cause problems.
- A bent blade can oftentimes be the culprit for a noisy AC unit. Take a look at the blades on your unit. Take note if any appear to be bent. Even the slightest bend can cause the blade to rub against the inside of the unit-causing the loud noise.
2. Your AC is Blowing Warm Air
The last thing you want is your AC to be blowing warm air into your already hot home. If you’re experiencing warmer air, the first place to check out is your air filter. The air filter is one of the most important components of your air conditioning system. When you’re dealing with a dirty air filter your airflow can be affected. When the air isn’t able to flow properly throughout your air conditioning system, it can make the air feel warmer. If you can confirm it’s not an air filter issue, check your thermostat to make sure the air conditioning is on. This seems silly, but it oftentimes is the case.
3. Strange Smells Coming from your AC
If you ever got home from a scorching day in the sun and turned your AC on only to be wafted with a horrible smell in the air, we feel your pain. So what are the causes of this horrible smell that lingers? Dirty condenser coils can build up grime and dust. When your AC fires up, it blows air over these coils, so if they are caked in dirt and bacteria, you’ll be able to smell it. Another issue could deal with your air filtration quality. If your air filters aren’t protecting your home from outside air and bacteria, foul odors can fill your home. Our heating and cooling specialists can help you to determine whether your filtration system is working for your home.
4. Weak Outflow of Air
If you notice cool air isn’t reaching its destination, it could be a sign that there is something going on with your air ducts. This could also have to do with your air filters, so if you’ve replaced these already, it’s safe to assume that isn’t the case here. If one of your air ducts is leaking, you are wasting precious air! And no, duct tape is not the answer here!
5. Temperature Swings
Uneven cooling temperatures throughout your home definitely shouldn’t go unnoticed. Ensure that if there are windows or doors in rooms with uneven temperatures are properly sealed. If you don’t notice the temperature evenly distributing, it might be a good idea to contact a service professor heating and cooling expert. They will be able to properly diagnose where the issue lies within your air conditioning unit.
Schedule Your AC Tune-Up With Service Professor!
These signs and symptoms can indicate an underlying issue with your air conditioning system. Scheduling a tune-up before the midst of summer hits is a great way to ensure you’ll be cool all season long. Reach out to your West Michigan Heating and Cooling specialists today! Serving West Michigan since 1978.
We look forward to providing the top-rated HVAC, plumbing, and electrical solutions you need. Fill out the
form below to get started!